OBV STUDIO CHOIR PROGRAM
- The OBV Studio Choir is a selective sub-choir which records the vocals for the songs used by over 7,000 school children every week as part of One Big Voice every year. It also performs live at key events including the OBV RAC Arena shows and Telethon.
- The Studio Choir Program has ethics of excellence, service to others and fun. These are expressed in our motto, Inspire which harmonises with the OneBigVoice mission … To Have As Many Young People As Possible Singing Positive, Uplifting, Life Affirming Songs.
- The program commences in July each year and is conducted throughout Terms 3 and 4 with five fortnightly sessions per term after school on Wednesdays. Each session is 90 minutes long. In the ‘gap’ weeks, choristers receive review materials from the previous week as well as preparation materials for the upcoming week via their private members area Practice & Chat. Yes, there is homework (the fun type.)
- From 2022 the first 4 sessions of every term the choir will be split into north-metro (Bambara PS) and south-metro (Success PS) groups. The fifth and final meeting of each term is an all-choir session at Perth’s top studio, Crank Recording in Northbridge.
- The choir performs live at selected large events and occasional special practice sessions may be called as required.
- The program extends into the following calendar year with several free elective offerings. These include small ensemble recording sessions as well as song development sessions in which choristers participate in the development of original songs for the OBV repertoire.
- It is anticipated that the 2022 Studio Choir will be limited to around 28 members with the cost being around $300 per term plus a one time cost for headphones ($35) and polo shirt ($40) for new members.
- Each choir member participates in at least one individual recording session with a professional producer/engineer.
- As part of their immersion, choristers experience a large professional recording studio at Crank Recording in Northbridge. Solo and small ensemble sessions are conducted at Hibiscus Recording Studio in Girrawheen.
- Although the program centres on the recording process, live performances are a key part of the SCP. In 2021, Studio Choir live performances included both matinee and evening OBV shows at RAC Arena, Telethon and Wildcats Indigenous Round, also at RAC Arena.
- Parents are welcome at all activities and are encouraged to be proactive in participating as parent helpers for sessions and live performances.
I can not speak highly enough of the program and the amazing experience it was for the kids. Any child who is passionate about singing would absolutely love it! And as a parent, it was so awesome to be able to sit in the Crank Studio session. We absolutely love the songs and are very proud that Ebony was part of recording them. Katie Ridgway – Parent
Selection is via invitation, audition and interview. Please go to our SELECTION INFORMATION page for full details.
E.Ts! – Emerging Talents
Our Emerging Talents program prepares selected younger students to enter the full Studio Choir Program. For details please go to our E.Ts! page CLICK HERE.