OBV21 Studio Choir Program – Selection Information
Selection is via invitation, audition and interview. The initial round of invitations will be offered to exceptional young singers from schools participating in OBV21 who have been nominated by their teachers for soloist roles at OBV21. Aspiring OBV21 soloists who upload a video for the first stage of concert auditions may be contacted by OBV through their teacher and invited to apply for the Studio Choir. This is independent of the concert soloist audition process.
OBV reserves the right to widen the offers to individuals at non-participating schools at their discretion.
Members of the previous year’s Studio Choir can apply to continue in the program regardless of which school they now attend. This may be repeated yearly up to and including the year they turn 15. A special application form link will sent to these students via email in mid-May.
- Stage 1 of OBV21 Studio Choir auditions will be via video upload. Solists who have already submitted a video for concert roles will not need to do so again unless requested by OBV. Former SCP members will be provided with a unique upload link for their videos. Selected applicants will be invited to continue on to…
- Stage 2. This will be a live, in-studio audition and interview to be held during June.
The OBV21 Studio Choir will be announced on Friday 2 July.
What Are We Looking For?
- Normal kids! We believe kids should be kids. We are not looking for pop stars. The program offers gifted young people the chance to explore their potential, build confidence and develop social and teamwork skills alongside others who are similarly gifted.
- A natural and innate love of music and singing. The motivation must come from within.
- Musical aptitude, pitch, timing, feel, expression, x-factor.
- A team-first mentality, the ability to blend with others, musically and socially.
- Discipline: Aspects of the program can be demanding. Proper preparation for each session is expected. Practice is expected. Sessions can require sustained periods of concentration.
- Those for whom the above is their idea of fun!
Subjectivity and Feedback
- A degree of subjectivity is inevitable. OBV will endeavour to provide constructive feedback if able, upon request. Your patience is appreciated as we are dealing with large numbers of applicants.
- It is inevitable that the process will favour the older, more mature children. However, this should not be a reason not to apply if you are younger. OBV is keen to identify talent early and will make application offers to younger children to give them audition experience and to encourage them with future years in mind.
Studio Choir Program – Key Dates
- Mid-May: application links sent to former SCP members
- 28 May: video uploads close for OBV21 soloists from participating schools
- 31 May – 7 June: Offers to apply for SCP auditions made to selected soloists
- 4 June: video uploads close for former SCP members
- 1-28 June: SCP live audition and interview sessions
- Mid-June: offers for place in OBV21 SCP commence
- 2 July: OBV21 Studio Choir announced
- 21 July: SCP Commences. Fortnightly sessions. 5 per term.
- 20 August: Studio Choir participate in OBV21 at RAC Arena.
Please contact OBV’s producer, Brendan O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require further information.